JMR Agriculture serves the businesses that serve farming, including agricultural journals, farm machinery manufacturers, crop protection businesses, livestock product/feed firms and ag-focused marketing and communications companies. The business is operated as a partnership between Rebecca Rickatson, who manages its finances and administration, and Martin Rickatson, who is responsible for all client work.
Our understanding of the ag market and strong technical agricultural writing skills come from a Wye College degree in farm business management and a practical background in our family's dairy, arable and pig farming businesses, plus farm machinery operation on other farms in the UK and overseas and professional qualifications in operation of equipment such as telehandlers, sprayers and chainsaws, so we know what we're writing about. Martin has been a member of the Guild of Agricultural Journalists for 20 years, and while studying for his degree took part in the GAJ/John Deere Training Scheme 1997, taking the runner-up award in the competition that concludes the course. He has worked with agricultural public relations specialist Mistral/Agrafax, was arable editor and machinery writer for Farming News, and served seven years as deputy editor of the monthly machinery magazine Profi International.
We are focused only on farming - hence our name. JMR Agriculture specialises in communications concerning farm machinery, crop production and dairy/beef farming, from press relations to advertising/brochure copy, photography to product launches, freelance journalism to operator manual creation. A translation service is available to turn foreign language or roughly translated copy into agriculturally-accurate, well-written English, and we can offer full brochure and advert design and creation.
We regularly work on business around the UK and overseas (primarily in western and eastern Europe) so if required we are able to offer reports on shows, product launches and farms in other countries, as well as insights into foreign agriculture, and overseas contacts in farming and farm equipment.
Qualifications and experience:
- Agricultural business management degree from Wye College, University of London
- Family farm and employment experience in arable, dairy and pig farming
- Professional qualifications in telehandler, sprayer and chainsaw operation
- Twenty years' experience in writing for agricultural publications
- Ten years' experience as a self-employed freelance agricultural technical writer and photographer
- Magazine and section editing experience with Farming News and Profi International
- Marketing and communications experience with Mistral Group/Agrafax
- Freelance commissions undertaken for Farmers Weekly, Farmers Guardian, Crop Production Magazine, Arable Farming, Vegetable Farmer, Service Dealer, Dairy Farmer, Farm Business, Agronomist and Arable Farmer, Farm Machinery Journal, Classic Tractor, Irish Farmers Journal, New Zealand Farm Trader, US Farm Journal, Scottish Farmer, Industrial Vehicle Technology International, Tillage, Precise, Pro Operator, Farmers Guide, Profi International
- Extensive list of tractor and farm equipment manufacturer clients for technical and brochure writing requirements
- High standards of written work and agricultural knowledge
- Close relationships with editors across the farming press
- Other services available through additional contacts - video, photography, translation
- Member of the British Guild of Agricultural Journalists for over 20 years
- Member of the Farmers Club