Our understanding of the ag market and strong technical agricultural writing skills come from Wye College degrees in farm business management and equine science, and a practical background in our family's dairy, arable and pig farming businesses, plus farm husbandry and machinery operation on other farms in the UK and overseas and professional qualifications in operating everything from telehandlers to sprayers to chainsaws - so we know what we're writing about. Martin has been a member of the Guild of Agricultural Journalists for 20 years, and while studying for his farm management degree took part in the GAJ/John Deere Training Scheme 1997, taking the runner-up award in the competition that concludes the course. He has worked with agricultural public relations and marketing specialist Mistral/Agrafax, was arable editor and machinery writer for Farming News, and spent seven years as deputy editor of the monthly farm machinery magazine Profi International, before becoming an independent technical writer, photographer and brochure producer, retaining regular involvement in hands-on farming.
We are focused only on farming - hence our name. JMR Agriculture specialises in communications concerning farm machinery, crop production and dairy/beef farming, from press relations to advertising/brochure copy, photography to product launches, freelance journalism to operator manual creation. A translation service is available to turn foreign language or roughly translated copy into agriculturally-accurate, well-written English, and we can offer full brochure and advert design and creation.
We work regularly on business around the UK and overseas (primarily in western and eastern Europe) so if required we are able to offer reports on shows, product launches and farms in other countries, as well as insights into foreign agriculture, and overseas contacts in farming and farm equipment.
Qualifications and experience:
- Agricultural business management degree from Wye College, University of London
- Family farm and further employment experience in arable, dairy and pig farming
- Practical agriculture qualifications: telehandler, sprayer (PA1/2), chainsaw operation
- 1997 British Guild of Agricultural Journalists John Deere Training Award runner-up
- 2018 British Guild of Agricultural Journalists FMC Arable Photography Award winner
- Twenty years' experience in writing for agricultural publications
- Ten years' experience as a self-employed freelance agric technical writer and photographer
- Magazine and section editing experience with Profi International and Farming News
- Marketing and communications experience with Mistral Group/Agrafax
- Freelance commissions undertaken for Farmers Weekly, Farmers Guardian, Crop Production Magazine, Arable Farming, Vegetable Farmer, Service Dealer, Dairy Farmer, Farm Business, Agronomist and Arable Farmer, Farm Machinery Journal, Classic Tractor, Irish Farmers Journal, New Zealand Farm Trader, US Farm Journal, Scottish Farmer, Industrial Vehicle Technology International, Tillage, Precise, Pro Operator, Farmers Guide, Profi International
- Extensive list of clients among tractor & farm equipment manufacturers for technical, press and brochure writing requirements: Case IH, New Holland, Massey Ferguson, Challenger, Kubota, Sumo, Shelbourne Reynolds, Richard Western, Lemken, Trelleborg, Vredestein
- High standards of written work and agricultural knowledge
- Wide range of contacts across agriculture, particularly in the machinery and agronomy sectors
- Close relationships with editors across the farming press in the UK, Europe and further afield, with a full understanding of their requirements when seeking news and in-depth articles
- Other services available via additional contacts - video, high-grade photography, translation
- Experience of agriculture across more than 30 countries around the world, from practical agricultural work to farm and factory visits and field demonstrations, spanning areas from western and eastern Europe to Israel, Turkey, China, America and New Zealand
- Member of the British Guild of Agricultural Journalists for over 20 years
- Member of the Farmers Club
- Programme secretary of Suffolk Farm Machinery Club discussion group
- Royal Norfolk Show 2018 NORMAC farm machinery competitions judge